Lawyers Release Document to End Lawsuit Against British Prince Andrew
A legal document, which British Prince Andrew’s lawyers believe will end the lawsuit against Queen Elizabeth’s son, will be made public. It concerns a deal between the woman who accuses him of abuse and the wealthy sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Virginia Giuffre sued Prince Andrew last year for sexual assault. But according to his lawyer Andrew Brettler, the woman already signed a settlement with Epstein in 2009: she would then have received millions of euros, but according to the prince’s lawyers, it was also agreed at the time that Giuffre could no longer charge people with ties to the controversial multimillionaire. Brettler will therefore try to convince the judge in New York this week to stop the current lawsuit.
However, it remains to be seen how useful the 2009 deal will prove to Andrew. The prince is reportedly not mentioned by name in the document. It would only contain vague and general references to people from Epstein’s environment. Giuffre’s lawyer has previously said that in his view, the deal is not relevant to the lawsuit against Prince Andrew.
Another hearing in the case will be held on Tuesday. The judge could decide immediately that the case can go ahead, but such a decision can also take days.
Giuffre, now 38, says she was “lent” by Epstein to Andrew as a teenager to be abused. She is said to have had sex with the Queen’s son on three occasions in 2001. That reportedly happened in London, in New York, and on Epstein’s private island. The prince has always denied that.